The NASA Museum Alliance has provided some star gazing videos that may be of interest to our members. These are short videos that cover what is in the night sky for the current month.
The HAC website now has a new area under ‘Resources‘ where we will be adding content regarding all manner of light pollution issues. Bob Gent has already penned a great article drawing on his prior experience as a past president of the International Dark-Sky Association. Please give it a read and pass the link along to your friends and neighbors. We welcome all contributions to our Resources page, no matter which astronomy topic you wish to address.
HAC member Ted Forte has been selected as an OSIRIS-REx Ambassador. The mission of this ambassador program is to provide communities with knowledgeable volunteers to provide mission updates and information to the public about the asteroid sample return mission that is being managed from right here in Tucson. Ted is already a Solar System Ambassador, a volunteer program administered by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena CA. The OSIRIS-REx Ambassador program is managed out of the Lunar and Planetary Lab at the University of Arizona. OSIRIS-REx is the third mission in NASA’s New Frontiers Program; it will travel to a near-Earth asteroid called Bennu and bring a small sample back to Earth for study. The mission is scheduled for launch in late 2016. The spacecraft should reach its asteroid target in 2018 and return a sample to Earth in 2023.
The OSIRIS-REx Science Processing and Operations Center is at the University of Arizona. Overall mission management is being provided by NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD. The spacecraft is being built by Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Denver, CO.
Ted can be reached at and is available to schedule talks at your school, civic organization, or youth group.
Spot the Station
The Huachuca Astronomy Club is a registered 501(c)(3) organization, which means your donations are tax deductible!
- NASA Completes Critical Space Communications Network with Spectacular Launch of Final TDRS Science Relay Satellite
- Large Near-Earth Asteroid Will Pass Earth by This September
- Another Nearby Red Dwarf Star System, Another Possible Exoplanet Discovered!
- NASA’s Tracking Data Relay Satellite-M Vital for Science Relay Poised for Liftoff Aug. 18 – Watch Live
- NASA Plans to Send CubeSat To Venus to Unlock Atmospheric Mystery
- NASA Successfully Launches Latest Communications Satellite
- 2017 Astronaut Candidates Available for Interviews Before Training
- NASA Awards Contract for Infrastructure, Applications, Communications
- NASA Awards Contract to Extend Operations of Research, Development Center
- NASA Television to Air Launch of Next Communications Satellite
- NASA Signs Combined Data Services Agreement for Polar Satellite Program
- NASA Cargo Launches to Space Station Aboard SpaceX Resupply Mission
- Astrophysicist predicts detached, eclipsing white dwarfs to merge into exotic star
- Eclipse research: Following in the moon's slipstream to capture high-res sunspot images
- Spoiler alert: Computer simulations provide preview of upcoming eclipse
- An unusual white dwarf may be a supernova leftover
- Astrophysicists predict Earth-like planet in star system only 16 light years away
- Four Earth-sized planets detected orbiting the nearest sun-like star
- NASA Protects its super heroes from space weather