The HAC website now has a new area under ‘Resources‘ where we will be adding content regarding all manner of light pollution issues. Bob Gent has already penned a great article drawing on his prior experience as a past president of the International Dark-Sky Association. Please give it a read and pass the link along to your friends and neighbors. We welcome all contributions to our Resources page, no matter which astronomy topic you wish to address.
HAC member Ted Forte has been selected as an OSIRIS-REx Ambassador. The mission of this ambassador program is to provide communities with knowledgeable volunteers to provide mission updates and information to the public about the asteroid sample return mission that is being managed from right here in Tucson. Ted is already a Solar System Ambassador, a volunteer program administered by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena CA. The OSIRIS-REx Ambassador program is managed out of the Lunar and Planetary Lab at the University of Arizona. OSIRIS-REx is the third mission in NASA’s New Frontiers Program; it will travel to a near-Earth asteroid called Bennu and bring a small sample back to Earth for study. The mission is scheduled for launch in late 2016. The spacecraft should reach its asteroid target in 2018 and return a sample to Earth in 2023.
The OSIRIS-REx Science Processing and Operations Center is at the University of Arizona. Overall mission management is being provided by NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD. The spacecraft is being built by Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Denver, CO.
Ted can be reached at and is available to schedule talks at your school, civic organization, or youth group.
The Huachuca Astronomy Club is a registered 501(c)(3) organization, which means your donations are tax deductible!
- Dr. Ellen Ochoa on the Flight Deck of Shuttle Atlantis
- Space Station View of Mount Etna Erupting
- Photographer Carla Thomas on a Supersonic Flight
- Mackenzie River in Canada's Northwest Territories
- Dublin at Night
- Annie Easley, Computer Scientist and Mathematician
- NASA's Webb Telescope Ghostly 'Lights Out' Inspection
- NASA Awards Facilities, Construction, Engineering, Technical Services Contract
- NASA Updates Schedule for International Space Station Spacewalks
- NASA to Host 2017 Human Exploration Rover Challenge
- NASA Acting Administrator Statement on the NASA Authorization Act of 2017
- NASA TV to Air Seventh Orbital ATK Resupply Mission to International Space Station
- NASA TV to Air Preview Briefing, Three U.S. Spacewalks
- NASA Acting Administrator Statement on Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Proposal
- Milky Way-like galaxies in early universe embedded in 'super halos'
- Gravitational wave kicks monster black hole out of galactic core
- Tracing aromatic molecules in the early Universe
- Fledgling stars try to prevent their neighbors from birthing planets
- Universe's ultraviolet background could provide clues about missing galaxies
- Comet 67P full of surprises: Growing fractures, collapsing cliffs and rolling boulders
- Looking for signs of the Big Bang in the desert